A light and fruity blend of Frontenac and Marechal Foch grapes, this dry red is perfect for pizza!
$13.99 or $11.89 cs
Wine Club Members-
Remember your additional 5% off the wine of the month!
Pulled Pork Flatbread w/ Caramelized Onions, Ricotta, and Basil Arugula Salad
Use your favorite pizza crust or try one of my favorite pizza dough recipes from Rose Levy Beranbaum here.
For the Pork:
- 1 bone-in Pork Shoulder
- 3 yellow onions, rough chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled & rough chopped
- 1/2 head celery, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 2 ea 24oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 btl of PSW State Red
- 1 sprig each of thyme and rosemary
- Salt & Pepper
- enough cooking oil to coat the bottom of a heavy braising pan
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat cooking oil in your braising pan until nice and hot.
- Pat your pork shoulder dry and season it liberally with salt & pepper.
- Give it a nice hard sear on all sides until it's got a good brown crust.
- Remove the pork from the pan and toss in your veggies.
- Stir them around for a minute and then add the flour and tomato paste and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Pour in the State Red and gently scrape up the fond (brown bits) from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and herbs then return the pork to the pan.
- Bring everything to a simmer and then cover it tightly and pop it into the oven for 3 1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Cool the pork in it's braising juices then remove it to a cutting board. Take out the bone and gently pull the meat apart until shredded.
- To finish the sauce simply strain out the herbs and veggies and season it to taste.
For the Onions:
- 4 or 5 sweet onions (like Vidalia) thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick of butter
- A tablespoon or two of olive oil
- Some salt
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Gently cook the onions over medium heat until soft and caramelized.
- Season with salt.
For the Garnish:
- Fresh Baby Arugula
- Thinly sliced Basil
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Toss the arugula, basil and vinaigrette together right before you are ready to top your flatbread.
To Assemble the Flatbreads:
- Spread the sauce from your pork over your par-baked pizza crust.
- Lay down a layer of pulled pork and then a layer of caramelized onions.
- Spread a few dallops of fresh Ricotta over everything.
- Bake your flatbread in a 450 degree F oven for 5-6 mins until everything is hot.
- Remove it to a cutting board and slice it into portions.
- Top it with the basil arugula garnish, pour a glass of PSW State Red, and enjoy!