About Prairie State Winery
Prairie State Winery was established in 1998 by former high school teachers Rick and Maria Mamoser. They were 1 of only 16 wineries operating in Illinois at the time—now there are over 100! Prairie State Winery's goal has always been to craft the highest quality wines and to have the friendliest tasting room staff in the industry. Over the years we have garnered 3 Best of Shows, 4 Governor's Cups, and numerous Best of Class and Gold Medals. Most Importantly, the sentiment from our many loyal customers and newcomers alike leads us to believe that we are meeting our goals!
Drive out to Genoa to visit Prairie State Winery and spend the afternoon enjoying a truly unique wine tasting experience guided by our exceptional tasting room staff. Of the 35+ different wines we produce, most are unlike any you have ever experienced. Our winemaker has a passion for crafting high-quality dry reds and co-fermenting Illinois-grown grapes with California-grown varietals.
We produce wines with 100% Illinois-grown grapes bred to thrive in the Midwest, yet exhibit remarkable aromas and flavors. We use ingredients from nature such as ginger, key lime, elderberries, orange oil, and local honey to create one-of-a-kind wines that tantalize your taste buds. Last, but certainly not least, in 2016 we opened our kitchen in Genoa to offer great food to enjoy with our wines (Wed-Sun). Come see what all the buzz is about! We promise, it's worth the trip! Cheers!
Perhaps the most enchanting part of our Genoa tasting room, Prairie State Winery, is our patio garden. During the warmer months, we host bi-weekly Music in the Garden (2nd and 4th weekends) outside! During the cooler month, we host the live music events inside our dining hall. Our kitchen is open during these events and closes an hour before the tasting room. No outside food is allowed during the hours that our Kitchen is open.
If you visit the winery on a Monday or Tuesday, you are welcome to bring your own food from home or order delivery from a local restautant.
Reducing Energy Use
- 1.8 kW Skystream Wind Turbine offsetting energy use in production facility
- 100% compact fluorescent light usage in tasting room, production, and bottling facilities
- High efficiency radiant infrared heat system in production and bottling facilities
- Utilizing locally grown grapes and products to reduce transportation carbon footprint
- Repurposing existing buildings instead of new construction
- Encouraging reuse of wine carrier boxes.
- Utilizing used wine equipment from wineries moving up in size
- Strong recycling program of all glass, plastic, and cardboard from our business
- Composting all grape and fruit material into our vineyard ecosystem